The 24-pounder howitzers used by the Confederates at Gettysburg were of Austrian manufacture, and are easily distinguished by the twin "handles" on either side of the tube. They were some of the largest used in the battle. This one is located near Pitzer Woods on West Confederate Avenue.
Built in 1854 the Sachs Covered Bridge spans Marsh Creek and closed to driving. It is 100' long, and is near the right flank of the Confederate artillery line in July 3, 1863. It was used for troop movements during the Civil War and is reportedly haunted.
The mural on Coster avenue is named for Colonel Charles Coster at Kuhn's brickyard and marks the position of his brigade of the Eleventh Corps that stood at this spot on the afternoon of July 1, 1863. It is an 80-foot painting next to the monument to the 154th New York.The final mural was painted by Rhode Island artist Johan Bjurman. The mural was dedicated on July 1, 1988, the 125th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg.
One of the many views of the battlefield and this one was taken at sunset of the observation tower on East Confederate Avenue.
Evergreen Cemetery was established in 1854. It has The Gettysburg Civil War Women's Memorial honoring all women serving in various functions before, during, and following the Battle of Gettysburg. It is also the final resting place of Mary Virginia Wade "Jennie", the only civilian killed during the Battle of Gettysburg. Also within its boundaries such notorieties as: John L. Burns - Patriot, Eddie Plank - one of the greatest left-handed pitchers, and Oscar Shaw - Singer/Actor.
The changing views of the battlefield as trees and brush are being removed in an attempt to return it to the time of the battle of 1863. The area is near Devil's Den from Little Round Top. The left photo was taken July 2000, the right photo was taken March 2009.
The changing views of the battlefield as trees and brush on Oak Hill are being removed in an attempt to return it to the time of the battle of 1863. The left photo was taken October 2003 and the right was taken April 2007.
The changing views of the battlefield as trees and brush near the "Loop" are being removed in an attempt to return it to the time of the battle of 1863. The left photo was taken October 2002 and the right was taken March 2004.